Tuesday, March 16, 2010

100316- A joke

.....I knew a guy who tried to give up smoking. I told him that it's always tough but it would be worth it. The one thing he should remember though, is that sometimes when people fail it's for the same reason that dieters fail: they often get advised to use a "one-method-fits-all" treatment. It would work better if the treatment was tailored to the condition you want to change. I recommended he try the nicotine patch first. "If you crave a cigarette," I told him, "you use the patch instead. If the cravings are stronger than that, you use two, and so on. You see? You make the treatment match the need." That made sense to him. I got caught up in work for a while and it was months before I saw him again. When I did see him, I noticed he wasn't holding a cigarette. His face and hair seemed cleaner and he had a little more energy overall. I started up some small talk, but I was dying to ask him if he had really quit. When I did, he said, "Oh, yeah, it's been a while now. You were right about those patches." "Really?" I asked, "they worked that well?" "They sure did," he said, "they tasted horrible. And lighting them is nearly impossible."

No comments:

Post a Comment